Conserving Wildlife in Australia
Help conserve kangaroos, wallabies and other wildlife recovering from bushfires in the breathtaking Blue Mountains near Sydney.
About this project
The Blue Mountains is a rugged region west of Sydney in Australia’s New South Wales. Known for dramatic scenery, it encompasses steep cliffs, eucalyptus forests, waterfalls and villages dotted with guesthouses, galleries and gardens. Katoomba, a major town in the area, borders Blue Mountains National Park and its bushwalking trails. Echo Point affords views of the storied Three Sisters sandstone rock formation.
Over 400 different types of animals call the Blue Mountains home, including endangered and threatened species.
Main volunteering activities:
- Habitat mapping – with 7,000 acres this is a huge ongoing task, identifying areas of species impact.
- Habitat recovery – collecting fallen timber, organic matter and branches and using this to recreate natural habitat complexity.
- Nest Box Installation – this helps to support smaller arborial marsupials such as sugar gliders.
- Tree planting – using seedlings from the seed bank of over 1m seeds to assist in repopulating areas of impact.
- Volunteering work typically lasts for 2-3 days
- Involves 4-6 hours of helping each day
- November to March is recommended, but you can help anytime
- This volunteering trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities
You will learn a great deal about Australia’s flora and fauna, and play a role in preserving it. This project is also family-friendly, children from age 5 can participate.
Nearby fun activities
- Waterfalls and bush
- Eucalyptus forests
- Bushwalking trails
- Villages, gardens, galleries
Successes to date:
Research teams have benefitted from citizen scientist volunteers, contributing valuable data to assist in the conservation of kangaroos, wallabies, and wallaroos.
This project is for you if:
- You would like to encounter Australia’s wildlife
- You are looking for a project that enables you are passionate about the environment and want to help conserve unique wildlife
- You are happy rolling up your sleeves and getting involved
The Conserving Wildlife trip blends well with a lot of sightseeing and relaxation activities. Scroll through the images on this page for inspiration. Nearby activities: hiking, cycling, horse riding, spa treatments, scenic flights
Suggested Australian Trip Itinerary
Wildlife and Wonder – 11 Days
Example Price: US$18,890 per adult
This adventure not only enables you and your family to interact with and help conserve some of Australia’s most iconic wildlife, kangaroos, wallabies and wombats; you also get to be amazed at all that Sydney has to offer, be in awe of the majesty of the Blue Mountains, and be spellbound by the Great Barrier Reef… all in luxury.
- Safeguarding the future of kangaroos, wallabies and wombats
- Private guided tour of Sydney and her beaches
- Scenic helicopter flight
- Relaxing on an island in the Great Barrier Reef
- Snorkelling or diving
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Private transfers
- Expert local guides
- Meals as specified
- Volunteering costs
- Flights within Australia
Note: Price excludes international flights
Sample Day by Day
- Day 1: Arrive Sydney, met at airport and transfer to the Hyatt with a view over Sydney Harbour
- Day 2: Private guided tour of Sydney, customized for you
- Day 3: Take a scenic heli-flight to the Blue Mountains, check-in to Wolgan Valley Resort
- Day 4-6: Assist with wildlife conservation activities
- Day 7: You have a free day to enjoy the Blue Mountains
- Day 8: Fly to Cairns, and fly on to Lizard Island
- Day 9-10: Two days of relaxing bliss on Lizard Island
- Day 11: Fly to Brisbane and fly out
Note: This is a sample itinerary only
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavour of Australia, and we delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences. Inclusions and exclusions may vary accordingly. You can customize this trip to suit your specific requirement, in fact any aspect of the itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation.
Here are some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Spend time in Melbourne, one of the world’s great cities
- Drive the Great Ocean road to Kangaroo Island and on to Adelaide, and sip their sublime wines
- Swim with Whale Sharks on the Ningaloo Reef
- Marvel at Uluru, or head into Kakadu for true wilderness
- Sail in the Whitsunday Islands
Discover more about Australia >>
If you like this adventure then go ahead and share on social media.