Conserve Turtles in Turkey
Help increase the Caretta Caretta turtle population in the Mediterranean as part of your family’s luxury voluntourism adventure. All done a beautiful beach, so you can relax at the end of the day.
About this project
Created by experts in biodiversity and nature conservation. you can play a vital part in increasing and expanding this charity’s activities by participating in their research studies.
Your location, Belek, is one of the largest known sea turtle nesting areas in the Mediterranean.
The research goals such as monitoring sea turtle populations, determining and minimizing the negative impacts on nests and hatchlings, educating both the local people and the tourists about sea turtles, and raising awareness about the conservation efforts.
Volunteers are vital to assist in achieving all these goals.
Main volunteering activities:
- Patrolling the beaches for turtles in morning and night shifts
- Finding and geo-mapping the turtle nests
- Tagging and weighing female adult turtles
- Protecting nests from humans and predators
- The volunteering project typically lasts for 3-5 days
- Approx. 4-5 hour shifts each day (10pm – 3am or 5:30am – 11am)
- Available from June to September
- Blends well with nearby sightseeing and relaxation activities near Antalya
- Family-friendly (min age 7)
A private gulet cruise along the Mediterranean.
Perge (an archeological site)
Aspendos (a very well preserved Roman theatre)
Antalya Archeological Museum
Successes to date:
This charity has been operating since 1999 and was the first in Turkey to use GPS tracking on turtle movements. Nests have increased from 350 to 3,200, and over 1m turtle hatchlings have reached the sea with volunteer help.
This project is for you if:
- You want to play a part in conserving endangered sea turtles
- You would like to learn more about turtles and their nesting, and hatchling behavior
- You are happy to help on early morning or late night shifts
View the Suggested Trip Itinerary below for ideas on what a trip including this project could look like.
Suggested Trip Itinerary
Turtles and Turkish baths – 10 Days
Example Price: US$12,890 per adult
This adventure enables you and your family to not only explore the wonders of Istanbul and ancient Cappadocia, you also get to bond as a family whilst conserving endangered sea turtles. All in luxury.
- Learning an enormous amount about turtles and actively increasing their chances of living to maturity
- A traditional Turkish bath
- Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque
- A street food walking tour of Istanbul
- Exploring the Grand Bazaar with your expert guide
- The wonders of Cappadocia
- Beautiful beaches
- Luxury accommodation throughout
- Private transfers
- Domestic flights
- Expert local guides
- Meals as specified
- Volunteering costs
Note: International flights are not included but we are delighted to arrange these for you
Sample Day by Day
Note: This is a sample itinerary only
Note: This is a sample itinerary - we delight in crafting your dream trip especially for you
Note – this is purely a sample itinerary, designed to give you a flavor of the country, a local volunteering project, and nearby sightseeing activities. We delight in crafting trips to your exact preferences.
Any aspect of this itinerary can be altered, from excursions to accommodation, to get it perfect for you.
Some suggestions to customize this itinerary:
- Head to the cultural triangle for a feel of the ancient history of Sri Lanka
- Visit Minneriya and witness the elephant migration – the largest gathering of elephants in Asia
- Explore the less-developed east coast and have beaches to yourselves
- Do some hiking in the stunning Tea Country
Discover more about Sri Lanka >>
If you like the sound of this adventure then go ahead and share with family members, or on social media.